These were amazing! I enjoyed making them into the free standing cookie style instead of the typical cookie bar style. They were so soft and delicious! My frosting got a bit clumpy so i would probably leave the peanut butter out next time to see if it helped. I added some butter to smooth it out. I also doubled the chex/corn syrup/sugar mixture and kept the frosting portions the same. It was plenty of frosting.
Recipe from prettyplainjanes.com
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- Butter a large bowl, and measure out 6 cups of Chex cereal. Set aside. Butter a 9x13 dish, OR line a baking sheet with wax paper if you would like freeform scotcharoo's like the ones I made that are pictured.
- In a small saucepan, combine the corn syrup and sugar over medium heat. Once boiling, immediately remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter. Pour over cereal and fold together. Pour cereal into the 9x13 dish, or use a large cookie scoop to drop cereal onto wax paper, and use your hands to press together and form them.
- Using a microwave safe dish or a double boiler, melt together chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, 1/2 cup of peanut butter and vanilla. If microwaving, heat in 10 second intervals, stirring in between to prevent the chocolate from burning.
- Once smooth, pour over cereal, or scoop onto the piles you have created.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature.