This was dee-licious. Seriously one of the best meals I've had in a while. And the flavors were just so original and different. Definitely a guest-worthy meal:).
Grilled Lime Coconut Chicken with Coconut Rice
from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, light or regular
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see note above)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh limes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, light or regular
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Chicken and Marinade/Sauce:
- In a large liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lime zest, lime juice, cumin, coriander, soy sauce, salt, sugar, curry powder, coconut milk, and cayenne pepper. Place the chicken in a large ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- For the coconut rice, bring the rice, coconut milk, water and salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-16 minutes until the liquid is mostly evaporated. remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving.
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill (see note above if not grilling) to medium-high heat. Grill the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side (actual time will depend on the thickness of the chicken). While the chicken is cooking, pour the marinade into a small or medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the grilled chicken on a serving platter or plate. Drizzle with sauce (reserve the remaining sauce to serve separately) and sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top. Serve with lime wedges and additional sauce.