|pic courtesy of Favorite Family Recipes|
Copycat Cafe Rio Chicken Tortilla Soup
adapted from Favorite Family Recipes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- a dash (or two) cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- pepper, to taste
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- vegetable oil (to taste)
- pico de gallo or your favorite fresh salsa (I used Jack's salsa)
- 2-3 avocados, diced
- 2 c. pepper jack cheese
- tortilla strips
- cilantro (for garnish)
- lime wedges (for garnish)
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 1 Tbsp. oil until onions become slightly soft. Stir in cumin, cayenne, and chili powder and saute an additional minute or two.
- Transfer seasoned onions to a small crock pot (or medium-sized saucepan). Add chicken broth, cliantro, lime juice, pepper and pinto beans to onions and simmer on low-heat for at least 2-3 hours.
- In the meantime (when you are close to serving), combine taco seasoning and paprika. Brush chicken with oil and rub with taco seasoning/paprika mixture. Grill chicken over medium-heat until cooked through (try to turn only once during the grilling process). After cooking on one side, flip chicken, add small amount of water to pan and cover. Remove from grill. Let rest for 10 minutes and shred.
- In individual bowls layer chicken, about 1/3 c. pico de gallo or salsa, 1/3 c. diced avocado, and 1/3 c. pepper jack cheese. Ladle about 1 cup of chicken broth directly over the layers. Top with tortilla strips and garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges, if desired.